Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Spoken word poem by a good friend

On the rare occasion I have words.
When I was a teen I use to write half of what I thought, crumple it up and throw it away.
I never could quite get out what I felt .
And I burnt a lot of those half journal entries in a moment of purging myself of a really hard time of my life. That felt good. It still does. I am glad I did it.
Expression is a miracle to me.
Like a gift from heaven that I receive from God himself.
So when I have a song, or poem or a note to play that feels organic to the expression of an emotion I feel, I am overcome with elation. I can imagine it would be a similar yet much less tangible feeling as to giving birth. Although I have not experienced that .
Birthing words hurts. And when it happens in truth and honesty I feel joy.

I am thankful for songs and words that other people have. Especially when I can't find my own.
They make me feel connected to the human race. Expression does that.
Recently my friend Matthew Davidson member of the Victoria spoken word Slam team wrote this poem.
I connect with this poem. Or more over this poem connects with me....
And therefore I wanted to share it with you....


CONFESSION.      By. Matthew Christopher. Davidson.


I keep watching you fall apart
watching your freckles turn to shine like tiny pebbles 
washed in small rivers that wind across your face
every time you begin to open
with broken battle-cries your brave words false start
your heart cracks
and honesty always straight-smack dissolves you in the end
when you drizzle into wet confusion, 
waterfall into unexpected confessions
that leave you wondering where the safe places are 
because you can't even keep your own secrets in your head
can't silence these lines around your eyes broadcasting sadness
so who the hell else can you trust to wrap your 
darkness in warm cover under blazing tabloid madness, 
with gossip running brazen and flagrant through 
shock-hungry worlds like cocaine fire in our veins
but the fact is that the truth remains our anchor
keeps us grounded when bottled-up words 
would have just gotten us high on the things we kept inside, 
in those moments we should have just busted open like 
overinflated balloons but instead like kids 
we just let them float away and
so as a man I want to stand here and say
hey, don't ever stop talking
we've been walking through this cold finding heat like 
two old birds heading south and all I know right now is that
your mouth is a fault line in the universe that grace is breaking through
and you 
are the most beautiful mess I've ever known
I don't have answers to all your questions 
but the best wonders in life are made more wondrous 
by knowing you don't have to ask these things alone
and if it takes us getting messy to finally come clean 
then let's fuck that shit up, yo.  
let's roll up our sleeves and plunge our hands in dirt, 
work this ground until it bleeds out life and muddies up our shirts; 
let's swear to tell the truth no matter how much it hurts.
and when it comes to secrets 
I can't promise to keep my mouth shut; 
my tongue trips over itself in spite of myself and 
my mind is a revolving door, but I will promise you this:  
I will bury your darkness in my forgetfulness
because for every sin you've confessed 
I could confess a hundred more.
and when it comes to safety, 
I can promise that I will open my mouth wide and cover you with my words
because you are worth speaking up for.



No comments:

Post a Comment