Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Piano

I have been thinking about the piano. The instrument that I am most familiar with, most attached to, and most advanced in. For years I felt like the piano was the voice that spoke for me the things I could not find to say. I am grateful for the gift of it. I am grateful for the gift my parents gave to me in sowing into years of lessons and recitals, time and expense for me to learn.

I often feel bad that when I do a show or a gig that I don't tend to play it much if at all. I think people wonder why sometimes. I have asked myself that question and the only answer I have come up with is this. " It's my sacred space." 
My intimate place of connection with myself, my God and everything that makes up the process of who I am in this life. This is why I have a love and sometimes hate relationship with what comes out of me on those keys. And this is why I don't often write songs for " a show" that come out of that place. Its not because I don't want to be vulnerable or show myself to all of you. As any artist knows though you have to KNOW where your boundary lines fall. What you can give away with the knowing it may not come back to you as you expect or desire. It is love. When I give it away I better make sure I am giving it away for free. No strings attached. 

Even now I don't know if this is making sense. These are simply the thoughts of my mind as I prepare to play a few shows in the next few months. Will I play piano? Maybe not...or perhaps yes. I am not sure. If it is in me, yes I will. 

I can promise this though. Guitar, Piano, Drums or just my voice. I will speak from my heart, I will love what I do, and I will give away the gift for free that has been given so graciously to me. 

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I pray best at the piano, and i really miss being able to play right now... My big belly pushes me away, kicks at the keys, my body is so taken over by someone else that i can't get into a comfortable position there, but i am looking forward to the day when i am back on that cushy bench, and speaking with my whole voice..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE this post. Hope that I can hear you play again one day soon... Some of my favourite memories of years gone by include you at the piano :) (and me turning your pages - I always loved being able to see your fingers fly across the keys up close!! That was a lifetime ago, eh?!)

    ReplyDelete